Port Arthur’s First United Methodist Church, built in 1915, has a deep history with the town’s college. The church was allowed to be built on land owned by the school as long as the building could be used by the college when not in use for religious activities. Sixty-one years later, First United Methodist Church moved to another location and deeded the church building to the college. In 1978, the building was dedicated to Ruby Ruth Fuller, a Sunday School teacher that taught there for 42 years out of the 55 years she was a member of the church. The structure, now a Texas Historical Landmark, has continued to serve the Port Arthur community and was in need of restoration. The existing sanctuary was renovated to become a state-of-the-art educational facility totaling approximately 5,140 square feet. The existing education annex behind the church was demolished to accommodate a new 4,700 sq. ft. two-story meeting hall/education building adjacent to the sanctuary. Meticulous restoration of the existing brick, windows, and roof was required to preserve the original building’s exterior appearance.